AMD Athlon64 Mainboard - NOT SPAM: please check it out :)

Robert traveling08 at cox.net
Thu Dec 23 17:30:01 UTC 2010

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 18:23:30 +1000
Da Rock <freebsd-questions at herveybayaustralia.com.au> wrote:

> I know its a little OT, but I'm hunting for a mainboard to plug this
> CPU into and build a file server. So the ideal specs are (and maybe
> dreaming too :) ):
>
> 184 pin RAM DIMM
> SataIII 4+ ports
> Either onboard or AGP Video
> 2x Gigabit LAN
>
> Obviously I don't need much RAM, just juice the throughput from the
> HDD to the LAN, and plenty of bandwidth. That said a lot of my specs
> could be pipe dreaming, I know. I'm looking at 3x 2Tb Seagate 64Mb
> SATAIII's so I'd rather not waste it, I'm sure you'd agree.
>
> I'll be setting up RAID5 in some fashion or other, just still
> choosing my method between ZFS and VINUM or something. So the need
> for as many SATA ports is a must :)
>
> Any help finding a suitable model would be much appreciated- very
> hard to find anything still in stock. And of course advice will be
> very welcome :)

I just did a quick search on ebay australia for "socket 939
motherboard" and hit this

http://shop.ebay.com.au/?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=socket+939+motherboard&_sacat=See-All-Categories

One of my computers is a Asus A8N-VM 939. It has 2 ports for SATA and
I added another SATA card into the PCI-E x1 slot. I found an AMD64x2
CPU on ebay that was reasonable nad have 4G of RAM. This is not the
latest or greatest but it is still a very functional computer.

I hope this helps.

Robert

P.S. I will be taking my first trip to AU in February and am quite
excited  about it.