vic at yeaguy.com
Tue Dec 14 15:20:08 UTC 2010
On Tue, 14 Dec 2010, Justin V. wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2010, Robert Bonomi wrote:
>>> From owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org Tue Dec 14 05:45:55 2010
>>> Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 01:54:26 -0800 (PST)
>>> From: "Justin V." <vic at yeaguy.com>
>>> To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
>>> Subject: pls help..
>>> I am having a very difficult time understanding what is going on with this
>>> FreeBSD machine..
>>> I was having inet trouble so i put in a new router on my network (home
>>> I have a FreeBSD machine on my network:
>>> FreeBSD yeaguy.com 8.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE #3: Thu Nov 4 20:43:41
>>> PDT 2010 vic at yeaguy.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/HBCA i386
>>> I have windows machines on my network..
>>> One of my windows machines is my laptop and I connect directly to the
>>> router via WIFI without any trouble at all... I can browse any website
>>> without complaint.
>>> My FreeBSD system connects to my WIFI router just fine as well.. I am
>>> seeing troubles browsing the inet with my FreeBSD machine (Xorg and
>>> opera) Pulling up Google.com can take up to 30s..
>> Without reading any further, this simply =reeks= of being a DNS problem.
>> (99.999998792+% of all "30+ seconds to something over the net" problems
>> are timeout issue. :)
>> I suspect:
>> a) the new router is not using the same 'local network' adddress as the
>> old one was, This is not a total show stopper, because everyting
>> 'local' is using DHCP to get both the local machine address _and_
>> the router address.
>> b) you have a DNS server address hard-coded in the /etc/resolv.conf file.
>> (the old router and new router are providing DNS proxy services on
>> *different* addresses, and wyat you have hard-coded is the -old-
>> c) your FBSD machine is trying to query the hard-coded DNS server
>> address _first_, and when it gets no response, it *eventually*
>> (ie. after 30 seconds) tries the 'second' DNS server address it has,
>> which is the one learned by DHCP -- that works, the name resolves,
>> and the page loads.
>> On a WORKING windows box click "Start->Run", and type 'ipconfig/all' in the
>> box, to see what it is using for a DNS server.
>> Check '/etc/resolv.conf' on your FreeBSD box, and see if it lists a
>> *different* address on a 'namemserver' line.
> Heres what my resolv.conf is, ive changed it to use the router and itself, no
> change in status:
> [vic at yeaguy ~]$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
> #domain yeaguy.com
> #nameserver 10.1.1.1
> nameserver 192.168.1.1
> [vic at yeaguy ~]$
> Im currently set to use the router..
> The WIN pc is using:
> 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199.. hmm.. i will try those..
> Still hangs and times out.. but able to resolve and ping google.com just
> fine.... grrrr...
> yeaguy# nslookup nytimes.com
> Server: 188.8.131.52
> Address: 184.108.40.206#53
> Non-authoritative answer:
> Name: nytimes.com
> Address: 220.127.116.11
> yeaguy# ipnat -l
> List of active MAP/Redirect filters:
> map wlan0 10.1.1.0/24 -> 192.168.1.169/32 portmap tcp/udp 10000:60000
> map wlan0 10.1.1.0/24 -> 192.168.1.169/32
> List of active sessions:
> MAP 10.1.1.190 53401 <- -> 192.168.1.169 45879 [18.104.22.168 80]
> MAP 10.1.1.190 53398 <- -> 192.168.1.169 18541 [22.214.171.124 80]
> MAP 10.1.1.190 53397 <- -> 192.168.1.169 27460 [126.96.36.199 80]
> yeaguy# cat /etc/resolv.conf
> #domain yeaguy.com
> #nameserver 10.1.1.1
> #nameserver 192.168.1.1
> nameserver 188.8.131.52
> nameserver 184.108.40.206
> yeaguy# telnet nytimes.com 80
> Trying 220.127.116.11...
> Connected to nytimes.com.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> I got google to come up after refreshing the page, nytimes still does not
> come up no matter what, can telnet it just fine on port 80 tho...
> this doesnt make sense.
> freebsd-questions at freebsd.org mailing list
> To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-questions-unsubscribe at freebsd.org"
I think we are resolved...
I statically set my NAT'd WIN PC to what the Laptop was picking up and
I edited named.conf and set my forwarders to what my laptop was picking up
and problem solved.. my named.conf have the forwarder set to:
192.168.1.1, apparently the new router and an old dns server from my last
job.. which normally worked fine..
i suspect that the old router was able to handle dns, while this one
Thanks so much..
More information about the freebsd-questions