vic at yeaguy.com
Tue Dec 14 14:42:30 UTC 2010
On Tue, 14 Dec 2010, Robert Bonomi wrote:
>> From owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org Tue Dec 14 05:45:55 2010
>> Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 01:54:26 -0800 (PST)
>> From: "Justin V." <vic at yeaguy.com>
>> To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
>> Subject: pls help..
>> I am having a very difficult time understanding what is going on with this
>> FreeBSD machine..
>> I was having inet trouble so i put in a new router on my network (home
>> I have a FreeBSD machine on my network:
>> FreeBSD yeaguy.com 8.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE #3: Thu Nov 4 20:43:41
>> PDT 2010 vic at yeaguy.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/HBCA i386
>> I have windows machines on my network..
>> One of my windows machines is my laptop and I connect directly to the
>> router via WIFI without any trouble at all... I can browse any website
>> without complaint.
>> My FreeBSD system connects to my WIFI router just fine as well.. I am
>> seeing troubles browsing the inet with my FreeBSD machine (Xorg and
>> opera) Pulling up Google.com can take up to 30s..
> Without reading any further, this simply =reeks= of being a DNS problem.
> (99.999998792+% of all "30+ seconds to something over the net" problems
> are timeout issue. :)
> I suspect:
> a) the new router is not using the same 'local network' adddress as the
> old one was, This is not a total show stopper, because everyting
> 'local' is using DHCP to get both the local machine address _and_
> the router address.
> b) you have a DNS server address hard-coded in the /etc/resolv.conf file.
> (the old router and new router are providing DNS proxy services on
> *different* addresses, and wyat you have hard-coded is the -old-
> c) your FBSD machine is trying to query the hard-coded DNS server
> address _first_, and when it gets no response, it *eventually*
> (ie. after 30 seconds) tries the 'second' DNS server address it has,
> which is the one learned by DHCP -- that works, the name resolves,
> and the page loads.
> On a WORKING windows box click "Start->Run", and type 'ipconfig/all' in the
> box, to see what it is using for a DNS server.
> Check '/etc/resolv.conf' on your FreeBSD box, and see if it lists a
> *different* address on a 'namemserver' line.
Heres what my resolv.conf is, ive changed it to use the router and itself,
no change in status:
[vic at yeaguy ~]$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
[vic at yeaguy ~]$
Im currently set to use the router..
The WIN pc is using:
22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199.. hmm.. i will try those..
Still hangs and times out.. but able to resolve and ping google.com just
yeaguy# nslookup nytimes.com
yeaguy# ipnat -l
List of active MAP/Redirect filters:
map wlan0 10.1.1.0/24 -> 192.168.1.169/32 portmap tcp/udp 10000:60000
map wlan0 10.1.1.0/24 -> 192.168.1.169/32
List of active sessions:
MAP 10.1.1.190 53401 <- -> 192.168.1.169 45879 [188.8.131.52 80]
MAP 10.1.1.190 53398 <- -> 192.168.1.169 18541 [184.108.40.206 80]
MAP 10.1.1.190 53397 <- -> 192.168.1.169 27460 [220.127.116.11 80]
yeaguy# cat /etc/resolv.conf
yeaguy# telnet nytimes.com 80
Connected to nytimes.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
I got google to come up after refreshing the page, nytimes still does not
come up no matter what, can telnet it just fine on port 80 tho...
this doesnt make sense.
More information about the freebsd-questions