FreeBSD on Virtualbox: No network access

Weihang Wang weihang at vt.edu
Fri Dec 10 03:32:42 UTC 2010

On Dec 9, 2010, at 4:55 PM, Adam Vande More wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 12:48 PM, Weihang Wang <weihang at vt.edu> wrote:
>
>> I do not configure a DHCP server. When my FreeBSD 6.0 is booting, there are
>> several DHCPDISCOVERY messages, finally it shows no DHCPOFFER received. Do I
>> need to configure a DHCP server myself? If I need a DHCP server?
>

> Bridged networking makes the guest behave like another physical installation
> with respect to networking.  If your network doesn't have a DHCP server then
> for DHCP to work one is required.  You don't need DHCP for networking
> however, you could simply assign static addresses.
>

>> Where it should be? Now I only have one test machine, Ubuntu as the host
>> OS, two VMs (both are FreeBSD 6.0) on this machine. I want this two VMs
>> communicate with each other.
>>

> Why are you using such an old version of FreeBSD?
>
> Just go back to the DHCP stuff, when I use NAT mode, the guest OS FreeBSD
>> 6.0 could get DHCPOFFER successfully. Who is the DHCP server then?
>>

> In NAT mode, VirtualBox provides it's internal DHCP server.
>
> When running dhclien em0, the results are similar to the DHCPDISCOVER
>> results during booting. No DHCPOFFERS received.

Hi,

I have to use FreeBSD 6.0 because the network stack I will test is only based on 6.0. BTW, I am using internal networking mode now, these two VMs could communicate with each other now. This mode seems could satisfy my needs, because my VMs only need to communicate with each other, not with the outside world.
Thank you so much for help.

Best,
W.W.