FreeBSD on Virtualbox: No network access

Chris Brennan xaero at xaerolimit.net
Thu Dec 9 04:49:34 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 11:34 PM, Weihang Wang <weihang at vt.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Could someone tell me how to enable Bridge mode?
>
> I just change the network settings of my virtual machine, change it to
> bridged mode. I also select the eth0, which is the physical interface of my
> system.
> Then in my virtual machine, I add one line:
> ifconfig_em0="DHCP" in /etc/rc.conf file.
> I have changed each of the five virtual interfaces Intel and ..., but I
> could not get network access.
>
> If I use NAT mode, one of these five interfaces works fine. But now I do
> need the Bridged mode because one of my machine would be a server in my
> experiment.
>
> Hope to hear from you. Thanks in advance.

Weihang,

Basically what you want to do is select bridging in your vBox settings for
your VM. Then select your real system's ethernet adapter, expand the little
drop down below that and it will allow you to choose which vNIC you want. I
choose the Intel 82545EM device which gives me an em0 vNIC. in my FreeBSD VM
I have the following three lines pertaining to setting up my network

sshd_enable="YES"
ifconfig_em0="inet 192.168.0.20 netmask 255.255.255.0"
defaultrouter="192.168.0.1"
hostname="freebsd-bsd.xaerolimit.net"

and of course, that hostname does resolve on my lan, but that's not what
this e-mail is about. Hope this helps.