printing from inside Linux firefox

Dan Strick mla_strick at att.net
Tue Dec 7 05:17:19 UTC 2010

On Sat 4 Dec 2010, Frank Shute responded to my previous question:

> On Fri, Dec 03, 2010 at 07:22:34PM -0800, Dan Strick wrote:

> > I tried printing to a file, but both the Linux and FreeBSD Firefox
> > programs create slightly strange postscript and pdf files which seem
> > to display correctly via the ghostscript and acroread programs but
> > won't print correctly on my postscript printer (a Brother HL-1270N).
>
> Firefox produces OK postscript. Your printer setup is borked. Try
> using lpr and doing away with CUPS is my advice. Then you can send ps
> directly to the printer.
>
> Below are the important files for my postscript printer. I just
> convert everything to postscript before I lpr it.

I don't use CUPS.  My only interest in CUPS is that modern Linux binaries
often use it and I would like to know how to configure /compat/linux so
that printing works.  My FreeBSD system uses lpr.  My printcap entry
looks like this:  (the printer has an ethernet interface)

ps0|ps|Brother HL-1270N:\
        :sh:rw:mx#30000:\
        :lp=9100 at br-hl-1270n:sd=/var/spool/lp/ps0:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

I also convert everything to postscript before I lpr it.

My printer setup is not borked.  All postscript files other than those
produced by firefox (e.g. those produced by enscript or groff -Tps)
work just fine.

My printer may be a little strange.  I am not sure its postscript
interpreter is precisely correct.

Thanks,
	Dan Strick