syslogd not writing to file?

Kaya Saman kayasaman at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 22:21:15 UTC 2010

Hi,

I've got a weird problem that might be a bug with the 64bit RELEASE
edition of FreeBSD 8.0.

The issue is this:

I provisioned 2 servers on two separate networks; one a 32bit system and
the other a 64bit in order to log information coming from Cisco network
equipment. The 32bit build works perfectly using the config below,
however the 64bit version won't write the files as needed???

The /etc/syslog.conf file looks as such:

# $FreeBSD: src/etc/syslog.conf,v 1.30.2.1.2.1 2009/10/25 01:10:29
kensmith Exp $
#
#    Spaces ARE valid field separators in this file. However,
#    other *nix-like systems still insist on using tabs as field
#    separators. If you are sharing this file between systems, you
#    may want to use only tabs as field separators here.
#    Consult the syslog.conf(5) manpage.
+Zeta-Ray.optiplex-networks.com
*.err;kern.warning;auth.notice;mail.crit        /dev/console
*.notice;authpriv.none;kern.debug;lpr.info;mail.crit;news.err
/var/log/messages
security.*                    /var/log/security
auth.info;authpriv.info                /var/log/auth.log
mail.info                    /var/log/maillog
lpr.info                    /var/log/lpd-errs
ftp.info                    /var/log/xferlog
cron.*                        /var/log/cron
*.=debug                    /var/log/debug.log
*.emerg                        *
# uncomment this to log all writes to /dev/console to /var/log/console.log
#console.info                    /var/log/console.log
# uncomment this to enable logging of all log messages to /var/log/all.log
# touch /var/log/all.log and chmod it to mode 600 before it will work
#*.*                        /var/log/all.log
# uncomment this to enable logging to a remote loghost named loghost
#*.*                        @loghost
# uncomment these if you're running inn
# news.crit                    /var/log/news/news.crit
# news.err                    /var/log/news/news.err
# news.notice                    /var/log/news/news.notice
!ppp
*.*                        /var/log/ppp.log
!*
+192.168.1.1
*.*                        /var/log/cisco857w.log
!*
+172.16.0.1
*.*                        /var/log/cisco1801w.log

With the files having these permissions:

-rw-r--r--  1 root   wheel            0 Dec  5 17:02 cisco1801w.log
-rw-r--r--  1 root   wheel            0 Dec  5 19:32 cisco857w.log

I also added these lines to the /etc/rc.conf file:

syslogd_enable="YES"
#syslogd_flags="-d -b 192.168.1.120 -a 192.168.1.1/32:* -a
172.16.0.1/32:* -vv"
syslogd_flags=""

Using debugging by putting -d -vv within the comments of the last line I
was able to see information get transferred to my server from the
devices in question, however the FILE parameter was never specified
meaning that nothing was getting written to the files created.

The 32bit build works perfectly on a different network with the same
config just different device IP's. The system hasn't had any packages
updated though unlike the 64bit edition which might interfere with the
build somehow. I also run BSD Jails on the 64bit server too so I don't
know if something from that part is affecting things?

It's a very odd problem and I don't know if anyone can give me any
insight into this?

I mean information is getting to the server as I can see it while
running the debug with the -d -vv flags set in place, however nothing is
being written!

Can anyone help or suggest anything?

Thanks,

Kaya