Any work to update the RealTek Drivers?

Dennis Glatting freebsd at penx.com
Sun Dec 5 18:40:48 UTC 2010

Is there any work going on with the RealTek drivers? The RealTek devices I
am using support a 9k MTU but the code limits the MTU to the default. Over
gigabit, a larger MTU is desirable.

Specifically, on one of several machines I am using:

re0: <RealTek 8168/8111 B/C/CP/D/DP/E PCIe Gigabit Ethernet> port
0xde00-0xdeff mem 0xfbcff000-0xfbcfffff,0xfbcf8000-0xfbcfbfff irq 16 at
device 0.0 on pci7
re1: <RealTek 8168/8111 B/C/CP/D/DP/E PCIe Gigabit Ethernet> port
0xce00-0xceff mem 0xfbaff000-0xfbafffff,0xfbaf8000-0xfbafbfff irq 17 at
device 0.0 on pci8

Trying to set the MTU:

btw# ifconfig re1 mtu 4096
ifconfig: ioctl (set mtu): Invalid argument

Looking at the source sys/dev/re/if_re.c

/*-
  * Copyright (c) 1997, 1998-2003
  *      Bill Paul <wpaul at windriver.com>.  All rights reserved.

(snip)

        case RL_HWREV_8168CP:
         case RL_HWREV_8168D:
         case RL_HWREV_8168DP:
                 sc->rl_flags |= RL_FLAG_PHYWAKE | RL_FLAG_PAR |
                     RL_FLAG_DESCV2 | RL_FLAG_MACSTAT | RL_FLAG_CMDSTOP |
                     RL_FLAG_AUTOPAD;
                 /*
                  * These controllers support jumbo frame but it seems
                  * that enabling it requires touching additional magic
                  * registers. Depending on MAC revisions some
                  * controllers need to disable checksum offload. So
                  * disable jumbo frame until I have better idea what
                  * it really requires to make it support.
                  * RTL8168C/CP : supports up to 6KB jumbo frame.
                  * RTL8111C/CP : supports up to 9KB jumbo frame.
                  */
                 sc->rl_flags |= RL_FLAG_NOJUMBO;
                 break;