printer recommendations?

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sat Dec 4 04:50:00 UTC 2010

>> Network is the way to go. USB *may* be okay. Parallel is not
>> living anymore - allthough I'm still using it that way, but
>> my home setting is a life support system for obsolete
>> technology anyway. :-)

My printer is a sturdy old Lexmark Optra T610.  CUPS has a driver,
which does duplex, N-up, and so forth.  Each toner cartridge is good
for over 10K pages, so I buy one about every two years, and I can
usually find one for $100, making the per page cost very low.

I bought a USB to parallel adapter cable for about $10 which works
well, drives the printer fast without swamping the PC.

R's,
John