Kernel Panic at loading FreeBSD

Dmitry Postolov antarex at land.ru
Fri Dec 3 18:27:40 UTC 2010

On Friday 03 December 2010 23:09:26 David DEMELIER wrote:
> 2010/12/3 Dmitry Postolov <antarex at land.ru>:
> > Hi to All!
> >
> > Sorry for my bad English...
> >
> > On my notebook HP ProBook 4510s <NX668EA> (Bios Compaq F17 (latest)) the
> > problem of times in some weeks is observed at loading FreeBSD 8.1.
> >
> > ---
> >
> > Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
> > cpuid=0; apic id=00
> > fault virtual adress=0x14
> > fault code=supervisos read, page not present
> > instruction pointer=0x20:0xc0966916
> > stack pointer=0x28:0xea0b7c50
> > frame pointer=0x28:0xea0b7c50
> > code segment=base 0x0, limit 0xfffff type 0x1b =DPL 0, pres 1, def 32 1,
> > gran 1
> > processor eflags=interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL=0
> > current process=15 (acpi_thermal)
> > trap number=12
> > ppanic:smp_tlp_shutdown: interrapts disabled
> > cpuid=0
> > Uptime: 25s
> > Cannot dump. Device not defined or unavailable
> > Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort or
> > switch off the system now
> >
> > ---

> > system isn't loaded in general on this notebook (into networks there were
> > similar cases on this model laptop). Drops out too kernel panic at
> >
> > Any thoughts to solve this problem?
> >
> > best regards,
> > Dmitry
>
> Which version is it? I also have a probook 4510s and I don't have any
> problem ..
>
> cheers

HP ProBook 4510s <NX668EA> (Bios latest F17 and old) & RUS-BSD 8.0.1 (based on
FreeBSD 8.1). Also in 7.3, 8.0.

Please, try boot FreeBSD 8.1 with ACPI OFF -> then stable Kernel panic, if
ACPI ON -> then Kernel panic one times in some weeks on boot on my notebook.

I am tested memory in Memtest86+, no problems found. And on WinXP and Russian
ALT Linux I am have no problems.

On forum bsdportal.ru says, that some time ago, subroutines of acpi sensors
were updated, and will be this problem fix in FreeBSD 8.2.