Build World fails on 7-stable with cvs sources

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 07:51:08 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 6:30 PM, Martes G Wigglesworth <
mailinglistmember at mgwigglesworth.net> wrote:

> I am now testing with the same sources tree on three different virtual
> machines to see if it will fail. If it won't, then I will just have to
> accept that one of the other poster's indications that it may be hardware
> related, is the cause, and look at replacing that equipment. So far, two of
> them are still running without error with the same sources tree. (Just
> started the third on another system for good measure.)
>
> I am running them on different host architectures as both a test of the vm,
> and as a test to make sure that a clean install of 7.3-Release will not fail
> upon building world on them.
>

> On 11/28/2010 10:14 PM, Michael Eubanks wrote:
>
>> Curious. What does your ``make'' command look like?
>>
> My make command is as follows:
> make buildworld
>
> I actually have the entire process built into a simple shell script which
> runs the commands and throws their output to log files, and then reports
> back to the central "updater" script with any errors at any level of the
> process. Nothing fancy, because I forgot that it was their about a month
> later when I didn't need to update anymore systems.

You should follow ***ALL*** the steps on the handbook page on buildworld.
>From what you have stated so far, you have not done that.  If that still
proves unsuccessful, booting off of a USB FreeBSD clean install drive should
allow you to test a buildworld without attempting to run down an elusive
hardware issue.  If it's still broken in that situation, it would give the
hardware problem theory a lot more credence.

--
Adam Vande More