printing outside browser cuts off top and bottom of page

Chip Camden sterling at camdensoftware.com
Wed Aug 25 00:28:07 UTC 2010

Quoth Warren Block on Tuesday, 24 August 2010:
> On Tue, 24 Aug 2010, Chad Perrin wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 03:49:24PM -0600, Warren Block wrote:
> >>
> >>The LJ4050 is a great printer, but it doesn't print PDFs natively.
> >>
> >>So you need to find what CUPS is using to convert PDFs to PostScript and
> >>adjust that.  It may be an A4 to letter conversion, or it's trying to
> >>"intelligently" scale the page to fit your printer.
> >
> >CUPS is a black box to me, filled with black magic.
>
> Me too.  That's why I use lpd.
>
> >I've got both pdf2ps and pdftops on the system.  I'm not sure which is
> >being used by CUPS, and I'm not really sure where to check.  If I had to
> >guess, I'd say it's pdf2ps, since I think ghostscript fits into this
> >somewhere.
> >
> >Interestingly, if I use either one of these individually to translate
> >from PDF to PS, then print using /usr/local/bin/lpr to print, the same
> >problem occurs -- so it's not specific to either of those tools.  I
> >really do seem to be having a problem with CUPS behavior itself.
>
> Could you send me the PDF?
>
> As Chip Camden noted, it could be a problem with the printable area not
> being correct.  CUPS should get that information from a PPD file--I
> think.  Do you have the correct PPD installed...er...wherever it should
> be installed?  Or maybe that's automatic, and you just need to set CUPS
> to the right printer.

From the CUPS help, this appears to be what needs specification:

http://localhost:631/help/api-ppd.html?QUERY=printable area#ppd_size_s

How you get to that, I'm not sure.

`lpr -o fit-to-page` didn't help, so I'm reasonably certain that CUPS
thinks the page size is the full sheet.

--
Sterling (Chip) Camden    | sterling at camdensoftware.com | 2048D/3A978E4F
http://camdensoftware.com | http://chipstips.com        | http://chipsquips.com