printing outside browser cuts off top and bottom of page

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Wed Aug 25 00:12:43 UTC 2010

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010, Chad Perrin wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 03:49:24PM -0600, Warren Block wrote:
>>
>> The LJ4050 is a great printer, but it doesn't print PDFs natively.
>>
>> So you need to find what CUPS is using to convert PDFs to PostScript and
>> adjust that.  It may be an A4 to letter conversion, or it's trying to
>> "intelligently" scale the page to fit your printer.
>
> CUPS is a black box to me, filled with black magic.

Me too.  That's why I use lpd.

> I've got both pdf2ps and pdftops on the system.  I'm not sure which is
> being used by CUPS, and I'm not really sure where to check.  If I had to
> guess, I'd say it's pdf2ps, since I think ghostscript fits into this
> somewhere.
>
> Interestingly, if I use either one of these individually to translate
> from PDF to PS, then print using /usr/local/bin/lpr to print, the same
> problem occurs -- so it's not specific to either of those tools.  I
> really do seem to be having a problem with CUPS behavior itself.

Could you send me the PDF?

As Chip Camden noted, it could be a problem with the printable area not
being correct.  CUPS should get that information from a PPD file--I
think.  Do you have the correct PPD installed...er...wherever it should
be installed?  Or maybe that's automatic, and you just need to set CUPS
to the right printer.