Typical Network Performance

Jason C. Wells jcw at speakeasy.net
Sat Aug 21 16:32:53 UTC 2010

On 08/08/10 22:10, perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:
> "Jason C. Wells"<jcw at speakeasy.net>  wrote:
>
>> By process of elimination (swap cables, swap ports, try different
>> host pairs) I was able to discover that a single server on my home
>> LAN was getting about 1.6% performance compared to other servers
>> getting 94%

>> What would be the next step to figuring out why this host's network
>> performance is slow?
>>
> My next step would be to check whether this host and its hub/switch
> port agree on speed and duplex -- occasionally some combination
> of netcard phy and switch type gets the negotiation wrong.  Duplex
> mismatch, in particular, can have huge performance impact.

I needed a windows utility to connect to my switch.  Instead I just
added a realtek NIC to my server to replace the Marvell on-board NIC.
After this, network load using 'nc' to pipe 1MiB gives 98% transfer
rate.  Even though I don't know what the problem was, I consider the
problem solved.  Thanks.

Jason