Status of Java in FreeBSD? (OpenSolaris is dead)

Antonio Vieiro antonio at antonioshome.net
Fri Aug 13 19:47:34 UTC 2010

On 13/08/2010 20:57, Roland Smith wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 07:59:20PM +0200, Antonio Vieiro wrote:

>> I'm currently using OpenJDK16 from ports. Is OpenJDK free from Oracle
>> hands or not?
>
> Depends what you mean by free. It's under the GPLv2, so I think you should be
> good wrt copyrights.

I think that the Diablo JVM has Sun source code [1], and this is
released under a partner agreement or something, so I imagine Oracle
could shut it down as well, right?

OpenJDK is under GPLV2, but I'm not sure it covers the whole JVM. I'll
try to find out.

Thanks,
Antonio

[1] http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/downloads/java.shtml