Status of Java in FreeBSD? (OpenSolaris is dead)

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Fri Aug 13 18:57:11 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 07:59:20PM +0200, Antonio Vieiro wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Now that OpenSolaris is dead [1] I was wondering what the status of Java
> is in FreeBSD.
> [1] http://sstallion.blogspot.com/2010/08/opensolaris-is-dead.html

IMO the "status" of Java is "best to avoid it". Just ask Google. :-)

> I'm currently using OpenJDK16 from ports. Is OpenJDK free from Oracle
> hands or not?

Depends what you mean by free. It's under the GPLv2, so I think you should be
good wrt copyrights.

Patents might be different matter, though! To the best of my knowledge, the EU
law doesn't allow patenting software. But if you really want to know where you
stand you should consult a lawyer who knows Spanish and EU patent law.

People in the US could very well be screwed, however. OTOH, Oracle's lawsuit
against Google over Android could potentially lead to the patents asserted in
that case being found invalid.

Roland