UPS question

Ryan Coleman ryan.coleman at cwis.biz
Wed Aug 11 20:18:06 UTC 2010

On Aug 11, 2010, at 3:06 PM, David Brodbeck wrote:

> On Wed, August 11, 2010 12:25 pm, Ryan Coleman wrote:
>> He thinks that at 500W needed it would give me about 12 minutes on a
>> 1400VA. My consideration is, then, give the server 2 minutes on battery.
>> If full power has not been returned, shut down the server but leave the
>> modem (w/ wireless) and switch running with power for up to 6 hours.
>
> A bit of advice: If this is an unattended system, give some thought to how
> you will boot the server back up if the outage is longer than two minutes
> but shorter than six hours.  Most UPS installations have *some* kind of
> race condition issue if power comes back after the servers have begun a
> shutdown, but in your case it's an unusually long window.

Meaning that my 2-minute window is unusually long? If the UPS can support the system for 12 minutes, I say give it 20% of the life of the support because our power outages here are usually spikes that kill my current web server (but amazingly *not* my file server). In fact, one of those power fluxes occurred last night. I love storms for the light shows, but hate them for the toll they take on my servers.

Additionally I spent $34 on a video card today that reduces my power consumption by 150Watts, resulting in a $13 per month savings in my powerbill - in MN we have a fixed-rate utility fee structure per season (winter power costs less than summer, I believe, for whatever reason) and a $10 mail-in rebate on the card means I will be turning a net profit in 2 months!
--
Ryan