ANNOUNCE: Custom 64bit FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE with XFCE packages released

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 15:33:33 UTC 2010

 Polytropon,

On 8/8/10, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 10:11:23 -0500, Antonio Olivares
> <olivares14031 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Polytropon,
>>
>> I have it almost working.  The pam errors are not there anymore, but
>> the machine stays at the Password:
>>
>> prompt.
>
> That's strange. The user "praxis" in my working example has a
> password set, and the user will be asked for it when logging in
> interactively (e. g. on text mode console or via SSH); it WON'T
> ask for a password in the autologin setting.
>
> Meanwhile, I've changed the profile name "autologin" because
> of its double presence. It's now "praxis" (as the user's name)
> and still works, so this doesn't seem to be a problem.
>
> By the way, what's the $SHELL of the user you use for autologin?
> Maybe that's the reason - ~/.login belongs to the C shell, the
> default dialog shell, but if you use bash, for example, a different
> file is needed, MAYBE. I'm not a bash expert on this, as I'm
> using the C shell as primary dialog shell properly. :-)

This is it I guess.  I chose bash shell and the default schell is the csh.

There is a file called .login in my home directory
/home/olivares/.login which has:

$ $FreeBSD:  src/share/skel/dot.login,v 1.17.2.1.5.1 2010/06/14
02:09:06 kensmith
Exp %
#
# .login - csh login script, read by login shell after '.cshrc' at login.
#
# see also csh(1), environ(7),
#
if (-x /usr/games/fortune ) /usr/games/fortune freebsd-tips
if [! -f /tmp/.X0-lock ]; then
  /usr/local/bin/startx
fi

and it clearly says that is for 'csh login', so I would need something else?

>>  But above it there is a line that says:
>>
>> 554 5.3.0 host "localhost" unknown
>> Aug 8 09:02:49 grullahighschool sm-mta[1090]: NOQUEUE:  SYSERR(root):
>> host "localhost" unknown
>> Starting cron.
>>
>> I had to add a localhost name and I added grullahighschool since I am
>> going to work there and I am getting this machine prepared for work.
>
> This again is a message from the system's MTA. Such messages are
> often related to missing data in /etc/hosts. Check your settings
> there, and "just for fun" check /etc/mail's scripts (e. g. "make
> all install").
>

>> Otherwise, I would see the error message when starting xfce:
>>
>> Could not load up Internet address for .
>
> For "empty string" - something seems to be missing.
>

>> This will prevent XFce from operating correctly,
>> It may  be possible to correct the problem by adding to the file
>> /etc/hosts on your system
>
> As I did guess. :-) Make sure the setting, for example,
>
> 	hostname="something.local"

I have hostname="grullahighschool" in /etc/rc.conf file

and I have included it in /etc/hosts also

> is in /etc/rc.conf and has a CORRESPONDING entry in /etc/hosts.
>

>> when it had no hostname :(, I can go back to the /etc/rc.local
>> solution, but would prefer to get this one working, the other has an
>> advantage that once I log out, I can shutdown immediately, but this
>> does not matter much.
>
> You can do this using the user's ~/.logout to contain "shutdown -p now",
> but that might be bad if X crashes. :-) Still, Xfce offers a menu
> entry to perform a shutdown.
>
> --

Thanks for your help and advice.

Regards,