ANNOUNCE: Custom 64bit FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE with XFCE packages released

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Aug 8 15:24:07 UTC 2010

On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 10:11:23 -0500, Antonio Olivares <olivares14031 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Polytropon,
>
> I have it almost working.  The pam errors are not there anymore, but
> the machine stays at the Password:
>
> prompt.

That's strange. The user "praxis" in my working example has a
password set, and the user will be asked for it when logging in
interactively (e. g. on text mode console or via SSH); it WON'T
ask for a password in the autologin setting.

Meanwhile, I've changed the profile name "autologin" because
of its double presence. It's now "praxis" (as the user's name)
and still works, so this doesn't seem to be a problem.

By the way, what's the $SHELL of the user you use for autologin?
Maybe that's the reason - ~/.login belongs to the C shell, the
default dialog shell, but if you use bash, for example, a different
file is needed, MAYBE. I'm not a bash expert on this, as I'm
using the C shell as primary dialog shell properly. :-)

>  But above it there is a line that says:
>
> 554 5.3.0 host "localhost" unknown
> Aug 8 09:02:49 grullahighschool sm-mta[1090]: NOQUEUE:  SYSERR(root):
> host "localhost" unknown
> Starting cron.
>
> I had to add a localhost name and I added grullahighschool since I am
> going to work there and I am getting this machine prepared for work.

This again is a message from the system's MTA. Such messages are
often related to missing data in /etc/hosts. Check your settings
there, and "just for fun" check /etc/mail's scripts (e. g. "make
all install").

> Otherwise, I would see the error message when starting xfce:
>
> Could not load up Internet address for .

For "empty string" - something seems to be missing.

> This will prevent XFce from operating correctly,
> It may  be possible to correct the problem by adding to the file
> /etc/hosts on your system

As I did guess. :-) Make sure the setting, for example,

	hostname="something.local"

is in /etc/rc.conf and has a CORRESPONDING entry in /etc/hosts.

> when it had no hostname :(, I can go back to the /etc/rc.local
> solution, but would prefer to get this one working, the other has an
> advantage that once I log out, I can shutdown immediately, but this
> does not matter much.

You can do this using the user's ~/.logout to contain "shutdown -p now",
but that might be bad if X crashes. :-) Still, Xfce offers a menu
entry to perform a shutdown.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany