ANNOUNCE: Custom 64bit FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE with XFCE packages released

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Aug 8 14:41:56 UTC 2010

On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 09:12:51 -0500, Antonio Olivares <olivares14031 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I apologize, but the change to put the code:
>
>  	[! -f /tmp/.X0-lock ] && startx

Oh good, added the missing "!"in the condition. Maybe I should
have written the code more clearly in the first place:

	if [ ! -f /tmp/.X0-lock ]; then
		/usr/local/bin/startx
	fi

> my home directory /home/olivares/.login apparently does not work, why
> I see pam errors:
>
> Aug 8 08:07:32 myhostname login:  pam_authenticate(): conversation failure
> ....                                       login:
> in_prompt_echo_off(): tcgetattr():  Device not configured

It's great to use FreeBSD - "man tcgetattr" tells us that this
function is used to retrieve terminal capability data. In my
opinion, this indicates that there's something wrong with the
format or content of /etc/gettytab.

Checking this on my side reveals something strange: I have put
the profile name "autologin" as shown in my working (!) example
right after the "default" entry in /etc/gettytab; the "fixed speed
entries" then follow. Then, later on, near the file's end, there's
another entry with the same name. Strange... but works!

I would only guess a gettytab issue...

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany