ANNOUNCE: Custom 64bit FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE with XFCE packages released

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 14:12:53 UTC 2010

On 8/8/10, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Aug 2010 19:33:58 -0500, Antonio Olivares
> <olivares14031 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Polytropon,
>>
>> So if I delete the file /etc/rc.local and make a file ~/.login, make
>> it executable (chmod +x ~/.login), and add the line
>>

>>        [ -f /tmp/.X0-lock ] && startx
>> in that file and I will have the same result but without loggin in as
>> root?
>
> Correct. The user specified by the autologin directive will
> be the user who runs the "startx" command, so no need for
> using "su".
>

> Here's an example from a working FreeBSD 5 system:
>
> /etc/ttys:
>
> 	ttyv0  "/usr/libexec/getty autologin"  cons25l1  on  secure
>
> Intead of "Pc", the profile to be used is named "autologin".
>
> /etc/gettytab:
>
> 	autologin:\
> 	        :al=praxis:tc=Pc:
>
> The name "praxis" is the user's account name for the user
> to be logged in automatically. All capabilities defined
> in "Pc" will also be incorporated.
>
> /home/praxis/.login:
>
> 	mesg y
> 	[ ! -f /tmp/.X0-lock ] && startx
>
> This makes sure the same username can be used for an SSH
> login (and it WON'T try to start another X then), or it
> can be used to log in via text mode console. When X is
> shut down, the user will be dropped to the text mode CLI.
> If you don't want to do that, add "logout" as the next
> line in ~/.login, or enclose the whole "startx" line in
> a loop. But this can lead to problems when X is not
> working properly.
>

> --

Polytropon & et all,

I apologize, but the change to put the code:

 	[! -f /tmp/.X0-lock ] && startx

my home directory /home/olivares/.login apparently does not work, why
I see pam errors:

Aug 8 08:07:32 myhostname login:  pam_authenticate(): conversation failure
....                                       login:
in_prompt_echo_off(): tcgetattr():  Device not configured

error repeats itself.

I want to use your solution, since the one with rc.local, the mouse
takes a while to respond :(

Thanks for helping me fix this.

Regards,

Antonio