freebsd along with debian

me gurpreet007 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 10:48:42 UTC 2010

If you already have Debian installed, with GRUB on MBR and you have a free
primary partition lying around then you can install FreeBSD normally using
the free primary partition as your BSD slice and making BSD partitions over
it.
When FreeBSD ask you about Bootloader chose to leave the MBR untouched.
Once FreeBSD is installed you can boot into Debian and add FreeBSD entry in
grub's config file.
Next time you reboot you should get option to boot in Debian or FreeBSD
right from GRUB.

I did same 2 weeks ago, I had WinXP and Debian Testing, now I have FreeBSD
and Debian Testing and I am happier than ever :)

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 12:26 PM, Umut Tabak <umut.tabak at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> As a potential user of FreeBsd, I would like to install FreeBsd along with
> Debian testing. I did a googling on how to install both on the same machine,
> however I also would like to make a post here, in case some better, easier
> to follow sites might be provided.
>
> As far as I can read from the installation manual, FreeBsd's partitioning
> scheme is different than linux, this is the 1st difference I know for now. I
> would appreciate if you could direct me to web pages(if any) where these
> differences are pointed out.
>
> Best wishes,
> Umut

Life is not fair. Get used to it. .... Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll
end up working for one.