ipsec and zfs on FreeBSD 8.1 -- kernel problem

Joshua Coats joshu at rescomp.berkeley.edu
Tue Aug 3 15:57:21 UTC 2010

I've been experimenting with a FreeBSD 8.1 build, booting with a root in
zfs, but I've found a problem with the kernel:  using the generic kernel
works fine, but this particular server needs ipsec enabled, and the
kernel I built with ipsec support for some reason can't mount the zfs
partitions, despite loading what I believe are the necessary kernel
modules (zfs.ko, opensolaris.ko) at startup.

Does special zfs support need to be built into the kernel?  The only
modifications from the generic kernel for the ipsec kernel I'm using
are:

options IPSEC
options IPSEC_FILTERTUNNEL
device crypto

This specific kernel config worked fine on FreeBSD 7.3, so I'm at a
loss.

Thanks,

--
Joshua A. Coats