make installworld fails

Peter Ulrich Kruppa ulrich at pukruppa.de
Mon Aug 2 16:08:54 UTC 2010

Am Montag, den 02.08.2010, 08:24 -0700 schrieb Caleb Stein:

> On Aug 2, 2010, at 7:34 AM, Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
>  > wrote:
>
> > Caleb Stein <caleb.stein at me.com> writes:
> >
> >> I am trying to update my FreeBSD 8.0 to FreeBSD 8.1.  Here is the
> >> order I ran the commands in (all as root):
> >>
> >> cd /usr/src
> >> make buildworld
> >> make buildkernel
> >> shutdown now
> >> make installkernel
> >> shutdown -r now
> >> adjkerntz -i
> >> mount -a -t ufs
> >> mergemaster -p
> >> cd /usr/src
> >> make installworld
> >> mergemaster
> >> reboot
> >>
> >> But I didn't get to run the last two.  When I run make
> >> installworld, I
> >> get errors telling me that the filesystem is full.  Now, I can assure
> >> you it  is not.  Well, basically, what I am asking is why is the
> >> filesystem full  after installing the new kernel?
> >
> > The number of kernel modules has been increasing quite quickly, and
> > modules are installed with the kernel (by default).  This has led to
> > installkernel filling up the root filesystem increasingly often.  It
> > just happened to me yesterday, although in that case snapshots and
> > four
> > or five old kernels were part of the problem.
> >
> > Are you *sure* that the filesystem isn't full?
> > Can you show df(1) output?
> > "
>
> I was wrong, the filesystem was full.  I did delete the old kernel
> modules though, and that fixed the issue.
This might not be a good idea since you might need your old kernel to
boot from if anything went wrong with the new one.
Probably you built your kernel with debugging symbols turned on, which
will make it _much_ bigger (and slower!)
Put the following line into your /etc/make.conf
	INSTALL_NODEBUG="yes"
and try again.

Greetings

Peter.