Installing from FTP: unable to transfer the GENERIC distribution

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sun Apr 25 07:23:34 UTC 2010

On 24/04/2010 22:41:13, Антон Клесс wrote:
>>  Suspect hardware on the second system?  Try escaping to the shell
>>> (Alt-F4) after pulling down some of the distribution sets and see if
>>> 'netstat -i' shows interface errors.
>>>

>> I tried to, but  (Alt-F4) does nothing.
>> Should it work in "Standard" installation method or "Custom"?
>>

> This time I lucky: "Base" distribution set get right, and when "Generic"
> started downloading, I reached the console you mean.
>
> netstat -i says there are no errors.
>
> second console says following:
>
> /stand/cpio: invalid header: checksum error
> /stand/cpio: warning: skipped <number> bytes of junk
> /stand/cpio:  : No such file or directory
>

> While downloading, such messages run out very fast.
> Then, sysinstall says:
>
> User confirmation requested
> Unable to transfer the GENERIC distribution from ftp://ftp10.freebsd.org.
> Do you want to try to retrieve it again?

Hmmm... well, the best theory I can see that fits the observed symptoms
is that you are getting packet loss while trying to download the
distribution sets for your second system.  Packet loss usually means
dodgy hardware.  I think you'ld have to be seeing quite substantial
packet loss -- more than about 5% -- or the normal TCP retransmission
stuff would fix things at the cost of a rather lower than normal
download speed.

It's pretty hard to diagnose such problems from the installer -- try
booting the machine from a livecd and using a more capable environment
to work out what's going wrong.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

- --