Installation on HP Proliant via iLO -> "Error mounting /dev/acd0 on /dist"

CyberLeo Kitsana cyberleo at cyberleo.net
Fri Apr 23 16:34:58 UTC 2010

On 04/23/2010 06:51 AM, Ewald Jenisch wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 06:36:39PM -0600, Tim Judd wrote:

>> Most remote management devices like Dell's DRAC and HP's iLO should
>> present the drive to the OS as a USB rom.  The new IPMI management
>> cards are still unknown.
>
> Oops, now I understand.
>
> Just curious: Why can the machine boot off the CD/DVD then during
> installation goes south - shouldn't it be either "I recognize this
> drive" or "I don't recognize this drive"?

During boot, the loader uses the bios-supplied routines to load the
kernel, modules, and md root. One would hope the bios knows how to
communicate with its hardware.

By the time sysinstall is running (from the preloaded memory disk), the
kernel has mapped all the hardware it knows, and no longer utilizes the
bios routines for I/O. Thus, if FreeBSD knows not of the hardware
connecting the CD drive, it will not be able to present it as an option.

Fortunately, once you get this far, you need not actually use the CD to
install; network installation works quite well.

--
Fuzzy love,
-CyberLeo

Furry Peace! - http://wwww.fur.com/peace/