Booting ZFS and GPT

illoai at gmail.com illoai at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 08:01:20 UTC 2009

2009/9/22 Anselm Strauss <amsibamsi at gmail.com>:
> My next question is: Is it actually the plan to use ZFS as official root
> filesystem in FreeBSD, eventually replacing UFS? Is ZFS actually designed
> for that use?

zfs works fine as root on opensolaris, though it
took them a while to get there.  Functionally, it
should do as well on FreeBSD (and note that
the "experimental" appellation was removed
very recently, though it has been effectively
"production ready" on 8.x for a while), though
I'm certain that the rather large memory needs
restrict its practical use to 64bit & multiple G
of RAM: not your average netbook, by any
means.

I hope our developers see fit to make sysinstall
zfs aware, but I hope we are not pushed (I know
how to kick and my screams are deafening) into
using it any time soon: ufs is wonderful for us
ordinary computer users.