network freebsd computers

Carmel NY carmel_ny at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 22 19:35:47 UTC 2009

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 21:08:44 +0200
Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 01:39:53PM -0400, Carmel NY wrote:
> > Most of my networking experience is based on a Windows. Networking
> > two or more PCs together in a Window's environment is easy.
> > Unfortunately, I am not getting anywhere accomplishing the same
> > with multiple FreeBSD machines. I can get them networked with
> > Window's machines; however, not with each other.
>
> FYI, syncronizing files between FreeBSD and other UNIX-like systems
> is quite easy with rsync [http://www.samba.org/rsync/]. This is also
> quite easy to automate (e.g. running rsync from cron).

I use rsync quite often. It is not relevant to this discussion however.

> For simple and fast data exchange, nothing beats netcat. [nc(1)]
> For remote backups I tend to pipe the output of dump(8) through netcat
> on one machine, and pipe the output from a listening netcat on
> another machine to a file. Suppose I want to backup machine 'foo' to
> machine 'bar'. On 'bar' I would start the following command:
>      'nc -l 65000 |bzip2 -c >foo-root-20090922.dump.bz2'.
> On 'foo' I would then start the following command as root:
>      'dump -0 -a -C 8 -L -u -f - /|nc bar 65000'

Useful information; however, not relevant.

> Typically I would be doing this sitting behind one of those machines
> with the X window system running and a local terminal and a terminal
> running ssh to the other machine open.

I have not experimented with that yet. If needed, would I be able to
run a program that required a GUI on the remote machine, or would I
need to install and load all the "X" programs also?

--
Carmel
carmel at hotmail.com

The person who marries for money usually earns every penny of it.