ftpd virtual www hosts

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Sep 14 21:13:45 UTC 2009

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 12:10:35 -0400, Peasoup <info at peasoup.com> wrote:
> Next I go to vipw to change the user's home dir to something in the
> www area, which is owned by www:www. This is where my problems start
> with being denied. I am assuming that uploading to the unprivileged
> user www is getting in my way.

A common way is to create a specific directory within the
user's home directory, such as

	~/public_html/

which is accessed by the web server to obtain the files to
be served. The user has his regular FTP access to his home
directory, so he can put files into ~/public_html/ or just
create a symlink into this directory from somewhere else in
his home directory.

I haven't done much webserver stuff recently, and I'm not
quite sure I did understand your question correctly, so my
suggestion could already be outdated.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany