reducing size of apache instances

Gareth Brown gaz at gbmail.biz
Fri Sep 11 07:12:29 UTC 2009

   Here's a few you can disable:
   mod_status, mod_info (both give extra unnecessary info about server)
   and mod_include (allows include statements in html files).  These
   aren't recommended anyway unless you really need them as they create
   some level of security concern.
   mod_userdir is only needed if you are allowing users to have webpages
   from home directories
   mod_ssl, only if you're going to use ssl
   mod_rewrite only if you will be rewriting webpage names to something
   else
   mod_auth_basic and mod_auth_digest only if you're going to add http
   authentication to any of your webpages
   John Almberg wrote:

     My Apache 2.2 instances are running about 18 Meg each. I've been
     thinking about doing something to trim these down, and I think
     tomorrow is the day to take action. They are getting out of hand.
     I've done a bit of research on this. I think the way to get started
     is to eliminate unused modules. Problem is, I know which ones I
     need, since I purposefully added them. I *don't* know which ones I
     don't need, if you see what I mean, since I inherited them from the
     default configuration.
     I assume that some are critical to the basic operation of Apache. I
     am hoping I can google a list of these tomorrow. Obviously these
     I'll have to live with.
     But what about the set that is left after I remove the ones the
     system needs, and the ones I need? How do I know which ones I can
     safely turn off? All I can think of is a trial and error process
     (i.e., turn them off one by one and see if anything breaks.)
     Is there a better way?
     -- John