reducing size of apache instances

Linda Messerschmidt linda.messerschmidt at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 04:40:52 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 10:58 PM, John Almberg <jalmberg at identry.com> wrote:
> I assume that some are critical to the basic operation of Apache. I am
> hoping I can google a list of these tomorrow. Obviously these I'll have to
> live with.

This is a pretty short list, and Apache won't start without them.

> All I can think of is a trial and error process (i.e., turn them off one by
> one and see if anything breaks.)
>
> Is there a better way?

Other than those core modules you mentioned above, one of the most
distinguishing characteristics of modules is that they define config
directives that you then use.  I would recommend that you walk through
your configs and determine which module each and every directive comes
from.  To a reasonable degree of accuracy, that will give you the list
of modules that are really in use.  Naturally you'll find some
exception(s), but this will get you very close without a lot of
trial-and-error downtime.