Problem installing FreeBSD 7.1 RELEASE.

Randi Harper randi at freebsd.org
Thu Sep 10 23:58:06 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Rom Albuquerque <a_romolo at hotmail.com>wrote:

> Hi. I'm having trouble installing 7.1 release.
>
> The details of my system :
>
> Motherboard : EliteGroup (A740GM-M)
> RAM :         3G DDR2 800Mhz
> CPU :         AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core processor
> Disk :        WD 500GB SATA
> DVD :         Samsung DVD/Writer "Super Write Master"
> Primary OS :  Windows XP sp3
>

> I'll list the problems and the attempts I've tried to get around them.
>

> Problem #1
>
> The CD/DVD drive can not be mounted by sysinstall.
>
> I have a SAMSUNG DVD writer drive attached to my ATAPI IDE interface.
> I have a WD 500GB SATA Drive attached to my SATA interface.
>
> The system boots off the CD, runs sysintall.
>
> I'm able to allocate storage for the FREEBSD partition and then create the
> individual slices for the default file systems. (/, swap, /var, /tmp, /usr)
>
> When choosing the instalation media as CD/DVD, an error message saying that
> the
> CD/DVD drive was not found pops up.
>
> I've tried every option on the boot program, they all fail to load the
> CD/DVD drive
> and can't proceed with the instalation.
>
> I've tried changing the DVD drive to a nother CD/RW drive attached to the
> same ATAPI
> controller, the problem persist as before, no change.
>

> This leads me to my next attempt to install the system from a disk
> PARTITION.
>
> Problem #2
>
> Unable to mount the disk partiton at the time of install.
>
> Ok, I've created a new extended partition with Partition Magic to hold the
> contents
> of the install CD.
>
> This new partition sits third on the list as follows :
>
>  a) NTFS partition with my XP installation
>  b) FreeBSD partiton where the system will be installed.
>  c) The new FAT partiton where the contents of the FREEBSD cd is copied
> into the
>    directory named E:\FREEBSD.
>
> I've copied the entire CD to this new partition.
>
> Back to sysinstall, when choosing the new instalation media "Install from
> DOS partition"
>
> I get an error message saying "Unable to mount /dev/ad8s3 to /dist", and
> the problem
> of not finding the DOS partition where the contents of the FREEBSD cd were
> copied to
> continues, keeping me from progressing with the install.
>
> The next attempt was trying to install from a filesystem.
>
> When selecting this option, a dialog "from sysinstall" pops up asking to
> list the
> complete path name of where the FREEBSD files were copied to this disk
> partition.
>
> I enter /dev/ad8s3:/FREEBSD and an error message saying that "it can not
> find the
> disk partition" comes up keeping me from progressing with the install.
>
> I've looked at the FreeBSD handbook online, but could not find further
> details about
> [...]

When the installation CD is booting, can you see if your CDROM drive is
being detected as acd0? Another option might be to try installing from USB.

Go into the options menu, enable debugging, and try the install again -
either from the CDROM drive or the DOS partition. Switch to the next
terminal over, and you should see some more verbose output as to what's
going wrong.

-- randi