Mounting an NFS volume served by Mac OS X

pete wright nomadlogic at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 23:11:27 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 3:20 PM, patrick<gibblertron at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm wondering if anyone has had any success in mounting an NFS export
> from a Mac OS X machine on FreeBSD 7.2? When I try, I get:
>
> RPCPROG_MNT: RPC: Authentication error; why = Client credential too weak
>
> The man page for exports on Mac OS X has:
>
>     -sec=mechanism1:mechanism2... This option specifies one or more
> security mechanisms
>     required for access to the exported directory.  The security
> mechanisms currently
>     supported are krb5p, krb5i, krb5, and sys.  Multiple security
> mechanisms can be spec-
>     ified as a colon separated list, and should be in the order of
> most preferred to
>     least preferred.  In the absence of this option, the security
> mechanism defaults to
>     sys.
>

> My export does not specify this, so "sys" is what is being used. Not
> exactly sure what that means... I don't see any options in
> mount_nfs(8) on the FreeBSD side that has anything to do with
> authentication or security mechanisms...

which version of NFS are you using on the server side, which version
are you attempting to use on the client side.

also, it may be helpful if you post your /etc/exports file from your
server (or what ever configuration you are using on the OSX server)
and your mount command that is failing.

-pete

--
pete wright