Mounting an NFS volume served by Mac OS X

patrick gibblertron at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 22:46:22 UTC 2009

I'm wondering if anyone has had any success in mounting an NFS export
from a Mac OS X machine on FreeBSD 7.2? When I try, I get:

RPCPROG_MNT: RPC: Authentication error; why = Client credential too weak

The man page for exports on Mac OS X has:

     -sec=mechanism1:mechanism2... This option specifies one or more
security mechanisms
     required for access to the exported directory.  The security
mechanisms currently
     supported are krb5p, krb5i, krb5, and sys.  Multiple security
mechanisms can be spec-
     ified as a colon separated list, and should be in the order of
most preferred to
     least preferred.  In the absence of this option, the security
mechanism defaults to
     sys.

My export does not specify this, so "sys" is what is being used. Not
exactly sure what that means... I don't see any options in
mount_nfs(8) on the FreeBSD side that has anything to do with
authentication or security mechanisms...

Thanks,

Patrick