Failure to do netinstall

John Nielsen lists at jnielsen.net
Fri Oct 30 15:34:41 UTC 2009

On Friday 30 October 2009 03:12:29 Vadim Maksimenko wrote:
> I have faced an unpleasant fact that your netinstall ability of 7.2
> RELEASE and 8.0-RC2 are dead. My network card is being identified and
> initialized properly (an old 3com980), it gets DHCP setup (IP, gateway, DNS
> info is ok), but... That's all that is done properly. When I try to select
> any flavor of network install, it crashes with a message like "Cannot
> connect bla bla bla: the connect is in wrong state."

I just did a network installation of 8.0-RC2 yesterday (albeit from an 8.0-RC1
bootonly CD) so I'm fairly certain it's not totally broken. Since you
apparently got a valid DHCP lease on your NIC it's probably not the card or
the driver that's broken either

> What should I do now if I want to install FreeBSD via network and have
> no option of changing the hardware?

We need to figure out what _is_ wrong. Can you provide more details of the
exact steps you took during the setup? Do you have the exact error message?

Guessing wildly, it's entirely possible that sysinstall got confused at some
point. Did you have to repeat the network configuration or FTP server
selection? Did you try repeating the installation after a reboot?

JN