Sendmail SMTP server outgoing email rate

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Fri Oct 30 13:04:17 UTC 2009

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 21:50:06 -0700 (PDT), Aflatoon Aflatooni <aaflatooni at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Is there a way that I could configure sendmail so that I could control
> the rate of outgoing emails?
>
> For example if there are 2 outbound emails destined for Yahoo.com
> server then they would be sent one connection at a time so that it is
> not flooding their server.
>
> Also, is there a limit on the incoming connection for sendmail?

Yes, there is a limit for the incoming connections.  See the description
of "confCONNECTION_RATE_THROTTLE" and "confCONNECTION_RATE_WINDOW_SIZE"
in "/usr/share/sendmail/cf/README".

For outgoing connections Sendmail only supports throttling based on the
load average of the system, at least AFAIK.  So you will probably have to
use some sort of connection rate-limiting in your firewall if you want to
limit the number of outgoing connections.