flashplugin

Tony McC afmcc at btinternet.com
Wed Oct 28 12:53:19 UTC 2009

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 16:43:11 -0500
PJ <af.gourmet at videotron.ca> wrote:

> I wish someone could explain to me why I am no longer able to install
> flashplugin ... none of the methods work for me on amy version... I
> have literally tried them all..
> the latest was linux-f10 - I cleaned out all the linux stuff,
> umounted the proc sytem cleaned out everything I could find related
> (?) to linux and reinstalled. No go, no way, José!
> I did catch some kind of warning that flashed by on the screen about
> Glib - seems to be gstreamer related...??? and the only thing I can
> find is the error message that flashplugin.so (or whatever the file
> is) could not be loaded because shared file "libfreetype.so.6" could
> not be found... and the only libfreetype.so.6 file on the s;ystem is
> ...so.6.something.something...
> If the system is smart enought to not find the right file, it ought
> to be smart enought to know where this file should be and to what it
> is related... duh !

Hi PJ,

I hope you won't take this the wrong way, it really isn't intended to
be an insult, but looking at your posting history I seriously wonder if
FreeBSD is for you.  You seem to want everything to just work without
having to think about it, so perhaps Windows would be better for you?
You ask questions in a very random way, try things without any clear
plan, and when given advice you seem to quickly move on to some other
difficulty rather than getting used to one thing at a time.  It does
take time and effort to learn to use FreeBSD effectively, but once you
have learned it (i.e., started to gain a deep understanding of how
things work separately and together rather than just managing to fix
things piecemeal without any real understanding) it works wonderfully
with a huge range of hardware and software.  If you do want to stick
with FreeBSD it might be better if you just sat down with the Manual
and read through systematically before trying to tweak things.  But my
guess is that you really would be happier and more productive with a
Windows OS.  That isn't meant to be a "please go away and let us get on
with using FreeBSD", it is an honest reaction to the pain and confusion
you seem to cause yourself as you randomly try things in FreeBSD.

Best,
Tony