WD External Disc Drive

Malcolm Kay malcolm.kay at internode.on.net
Tue Oct 27 05:07:55 UTC 2009

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 08:39 pm, Polytropon wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> just a little terminology note (from me, Mister
> Use-the-correct-words): If you are refering to a kind of hard
> disk, use "disk" with k. Think like "diskette". If you are
> refering to optical media, use "disc" with c. Think like "CD =
> compact disc".

An arbitrary convention adopted by you and a few other people
does not invalidate the dictionary spellings and usage.

My Australian (Macquarie) dictionary gives the spelling in all
cases as "disc" but recognises "disk" as a chiefly US variant.
My Conscise Oxford (English) dictionary simply gives the two
spellings as alternatives but states that "disk" is the better.
My Webster's (American) gives the two forms as alternatives
without suggesting any preference. Of course different editions
of the dictionaries may give slightly different slants but are
most unlikely to actually contradict these possibly earlier
views.

> Disk: disk pack, hard disk, disk drive
> Disc: optical disc, magneto-optical disc, disc drive
>
> In your special case, you can even say that your external
> hard disk shows up as a disc in "Windows". It's correct.
>
> I know it may sound impolite (but it is not meant to be),
> but using the correct terminology is very important if you
> want to be understood correctly.

I find your distinctions arbitrary and quite inappropriate;
again not meaning to sound impolite. So, each to his/her own
usage but please do not be critical of those of us not
conforming to your arbirary conventions.

Malcolm