Wifi Router and FreeeBSD - need some hints..

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sun Oct 25 14:21:14 UTC 2009

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009, herbert langhans wrote:

> Hi Daemons,
> I need some basic information about Wifi routers - very little I know about it.
>
> There is my FreeBSD-server (the other one is Linux) and some clients are connected with a LAN-switch.
>
> Now I want to add a Wifi Router to the network. I am not sure if I can set up the router without using some Windows software what comes with the router.
>
> My questions:
> I just connect the Wifi router to the LAN and it should work? Or do I need any software (drivers) to keep the thing running?

Many, probably most wireless routers are configured through a web
browser now.

Initial setup might require an Ethernet connection to the LAN side of
the router, depending.

You should not need any special drivers for the router.  Of course the
computers that are to connect wirelessly will need drivers for their own
wireless hardware.

The wireless router itself is just another router with all the standard
router issues: firewalling, bridging, and DHCP with the existing
network, port forwarding, and so on.  Should all be configurable.

> There must be some software to 'talk' to the router - for setup. Is
> there anything available for FreeBSD or do I need Windows environment
> (what I dont have available)?  What did you use to install your
> Wifi-router?

Firefox (FreeBSD native) is adequate for a Linksys WRT54 with dd-wrt
firmware (recommended, see http://www.dd-wrt.com).