usb key problem

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Oct 16 19:06:10 UTC 2009

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 11:05:01 -0700 (PDT), James Phillips <anti_spam256 at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> To be fair, Windows XP supports the NTFS filesystem that is
> very feature-rich.

And prone to file system corruption, as well as not very
performant speed-wise (which doesn't count in regards of
backups). :-)

> Although, I recall making a XP machine unbootable trying
> to format removable media with NTFS because only the
> installer woulds use that filesystem. The format utility
> let me choose between Fat16 and FAt32 or something :P

What a bug... erm, feature! :-)

> A better tool, under both Windows (via Cygwin) and BSD, would be ntfsprogs.
>
> http://www.linux-ntfs.org/doku.php?id=ntfsmount

Yes, FreeBSD let's you even mount NTFS volumes via smbfs,
so you don't have to care for the file system used. This
is because "Windows" does not support standard NFS out of
the box. This way would be interesting if your machine that
holds the backup files is a "Windows" PC.

As far as I know, there's a fuse module (ntfs3g?) in the
ports. But I have to admit that I've never tried it.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany