NTP Client synchronization with a Windows 2003/2008

Jon Radel jon at radel.com
Tue Oct 13 16:45:14 UTC 2009

Jacques Henry wrote:

> I commented the commands involved and nothing changed... (with only 10
> minutes of time difference)

The 19 minutes between when I sent my suggestions and you responded is
hardly enough time to see if ntpd was slewing the time.  Slewing 587
seconds takes days.

> I even tried to "force" the sync:
>
> U450XA0A0800650>nstop ntp
> U450XA0A0800650>ntpd -x -n -q -c /var/ntp.conf
> U450XA0A0800650>nstart ntp

Are you sure that -x in there, telling ntpd to not step unless the
offset is over 600 sec, doesn't override what you're trying to do with
the -q?  How about you try simple:

ntpdate the_windows_server

and see what that does?  After that look in /var/log/messages.

>  In fact I am still quite convinced that the MS implementation isn't totally
> compliant with the client...

Could be, but ntpq was showing that your ntpd was accepting time data
from the Windows server at least on some level.

--

--Jon Radel
jon at radel.com