Trouble making a Tandberg LTO-2 HH S619 work with AMANDA 2.6.1p1 on 7.2-STABLE as of today

Trond Endrestøl Trond.Endrestol at
Mon Oct 12 17:35:39 UTC 2009

Hash: SHA1


I'm having trouble making a Tandberg LTO-2 HH S619 work with AMANDA 
2.6.1p1 on 7.2-STABLE i386 cvsup'ed as of today local time.

The tape drive is connected to channel A on:

ahc0: <Adaptec 3960D Ultra160 SCSI adapter> port 0xec00-0xecff mem 0xff8ff000-0xff8fffff irq 17 at device 8.0 on pci1
ahc0: [ITHREAD]
aic7899: Ultra160 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 32/253 SCBs
ahc1: <Adaptec 3960D Ultra160 SCSI adapter> port 0xe800-0xe8ff mem 0xff8fe000-0xff8fefff irq 18 at device 8.1 on pci1
ahc1: [ITHREAD]
aic7899: Ultra160 Wide Channel B, SCSI Id=7, 32/253 SCBs

During (re)boot the following is recorded in dmesg:

(probe5:ahc0:0:5:0): TEST UNIT READY. CDB: 0 0 0 0 0 0 
(probe5:ahc0:0:5:0): CAM Status: SCSI Status Error
(probe5:ahc0:0:5:0): SCSI Status: Check Condition
(probe5:ahc0:0:5:0): UNIT ATTENTION asc:29,2
(probe5:ahc0:0:5:0): SCSI bus reset occurred
(probe5:ahc0:0:5:0): Retrying Command (per Sense Data)
sa0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 5 lun 0
sa0: <TANDBERG LTO-2 HH S619> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-3 device 
sa0: 160.000MB/s transfers (80.000MHz DT, offset 64, 16bit)

Is these messages normal for this drive? A valid tape was present in 
the drive during reboot.

This is a brand new drive and in it's maiden voyage the other night 
AMANDA complained about running out of tape after a mere 10 GB worth 
of data. LTO2 tapes usually have a raw capacity of about 200 GB.

Next I ran amtapetype to get the new characteristics, but got the 
following instead:

amanda at XXX:~>mt -f /dev/sa0 comp off
amanda at XXX:~>mt -f /dev/sa0 status
Mode      Density              Blocksize      bpi      Compression
Current:  0x42                 variable       0        disabled
- ---------available modes---------
0:        0x42                 variable       0        0x1
1:        0x42                 variable       0        0x1
2:        0x42                 variable       0        0x1
3:        0x42                 variable       0        0x1
- ---------------------------------
Current Driver State: at rest.
- ---------------------------------
File Number: 0  Record Number: 0        Residual Count 0
amanda at XXX:~>/usr/bin/time -l amtapetype -t "TANDBERG-LTO2-HH-TANDBERG-200GB-WITHOUT-COMPRESSION" /dev/sa0
Applying heuristic check for compression.
Wrote random (uncompressible) data at 22260042.3225806 bytes/sec
Wrote fixed (compressible) data at 22260042.3225806 bytes/sec
Compression: disabled
Writing one file to fill the volume.
Wrote less than 100MB to the device: Error writing block: Unknown 
error: 0
     9133,58 real      4747,35 user       316,77 sys
     11700  maximum resident set size
         3  average shared memory size
       730  average unshared data size
       127  average unshared stack size
      1614  page reclaims
         1  page faults
         0  swaps
        18  block input operations
         2  block output operations
         0  messages sent
         0  messages received
         0  signals received
  44390062  voluntary context switches
  26325015  involuntary context switches
amanda at XXX:~>

I managed to observe the block count rising well into 6000000 before 
the abrupt ending which usually indicates the tape being completely 
filled assuming a block size of 32K which is the default for 

I can (re)boot the server with verbose logging turned on if that can 
improve the diagnosis.

I've ordered a new Adaptec 39320 to use with this drive.

If anyone has a better suggestion please let's have it.


- -- 
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------
Trond Endrestøl                  | Trond.Endrestol at
ACM, NAS, NUUG, SAGE, USENIX     |    FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE & Alpine 2.00

Version: GnuPG v2.0.12 (FreeBSD)


More information about the freebsd-questions mailing list