/ almost out of space just after installation

Bruce Cran bruce at cran.org.uk
Sat Oct 10 21:23:35 UTC 2009

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 22:00:53 +0200
Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 12:28:08 -0700 (PDT), Richard Mahlerwein
> <mahlerrd at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I agree completely.  I also go a step farther and put most other
> > things that I consider user data in there.  Like Subversion
> > repositories and non-user-specific Samba shares (E.g. "public"
> > type shares).
>
> Historically, there was /export in Solaris. The home directory
> was /export/home, because it was usually distributed via NFS to
> other machines. Things that were shared, but not primarily under-
> stood as "user data", went there, too, such as repositories,
> file collections and exported storages - files that have not
> been "connected" to a specific user.
>

> > While I'm reasonably happy rolling my own FS sizes, I would be
> > even happier if I didn't have to.
>
> In ZFS, you don't have to. :-)
>

> According to your suggestion:
>
> > Drive > 16 and < 40 GB =
> > / = 1 GB
> > swap = 1.5x RAM
>
> I know that there was the idea of saying "swap = 2 x the maximum
> of RAM you could put into the box", but is this approach still
> valid today?

Having just built a desktop PC which can fit 24GB RAM (but has 6GB
installed currently), I don't think having 48GB swap really makes any
sense. With minidumps you don't even need swap=1x RAM any more, so I've
started allocating up to 4GB swap in my machines, which should still
provide enough warning of a runaway process.

--
Bruce