How to set device permissions at startup

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Fri Oct 9 16:03:37 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 12:34:21PM +0200, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
>  > Herbert J. Skuhra wrote:
>  > > Den 9. okt. 2009 kl. 05.25 skrev "Aryeh M. Friedman"
>  > > <aryeh.friedman at gmail.com>:
>  > >
>  > > > Since certain currently unused devices are not created in /dev
>  > > > (specifically in my case /dev/fuse*) how do I tell what ever (I can't
>  > > > tell it is devfs or what) to always make /dev/fuse* (when needed)
>  > > > with 777 perms (the security implications are not an issue here)
>  > >
>  > > Have you tried devfs.rules(5)?
>  >
>  > yes and since the device doesn't exist at the mount time for devfs they
>  > are ignored
>
> Then you did something wrong, or you're confusing devfs.rules
> and devfs.conf.
>
> Quote from the manpage:
> "The devfs.rules file provides an easy way to create and apply
> devfs(8) rules, even for devices that are not available at boot."
>
> The rules take effect whenever a new node (devide) appears,
> even after devfs was mounted.

But one has to run '/etc/rc.d/devfs restart' for newly added rules to take
effect! (or reboot the system, which is overkill).

You can try it out by adding a rule to /etc/devfs.rules and running 'devfs
rule show' (as root). The new rule won't show up until after one has run
'etc/rc.d/devfs restart'.

Maybe I whould add that to the manual page for devfs.rules? I thought this was
obvious, because most if not all rc.d scripts work that way, but mayby it's
not clear enough.

Roland