How to set device permissions at startup

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Fri Oct 9 10:34:39 UTC 2009

Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
 > Herbert J. Skuhra wrote:
 > > Den 9. okt. 2009 kl. 05.25 skrev "Aryeh M. Friedman"
 > > <aryeh.friedman at gmail.com>:
 > >
 > > > Since certain currently unused devices are not created in /dev
 > > > (specifically in my case /dev/fuse*) how do I tell what ever (I can't
 > > > tell it is devfs or what) to always make /dev/fuse* (when needed)
 > > > with 777 perms (the security implications are not an issue here)
 > >
 > > Have you tried devfs.rules(5)?
 >
 > yes and since the device doesn't exist at the mount time for devfs they
 > are ignored

Then you did something wrong, or you're confusing devfs.rules
and devfs.conf.

Quote from the manpage:
"The devfs.rules file provides an easy way to create and apply
devfs(8) rules, even for devices that are not available at boot."

The rules take effect whenever a new node (devide) appears,
even after devfs was mounted.

Best regards
   Oliver

"Python is an experiment in how much freedom programmers need.
Too much freedom and nobody can read another's code; too little
and expressiveness is endangered."
        -- Guido van Rossum