/ almost out of space just after installation

Chris Stankevitz chrisstankevitz at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 7 06:54:43 UTC 2009

Hello,

I just installed FreeBSD. After I installed it, I was surprised to find only 26M of space on /.  I used the auto-defaults during the Disklabel portion of the install.

[cstankevitz at crs-m6300 ~]$ df -h
Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad4s1a    496M    430M     26M    94%    /
devfs          1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
/dev/ad4s1e    496M     14K    456M     0%    /tmp
/dev/ad4s1f    113G    1.9G    102G     2%    /usr
/dev/ad4s1d    2.9G    7.9M    2.6G     0%    /var

Q1: Is 26M free space on / after installing FreeBSD normal?

Q2: Will I be able to install GNOME, Firefox, download 30 MB of files, and place them on my GNOME dekstop?  (I believe the desktop is located at /home/cstankevitz/.desktop aka on the root partition where there is only 26M of free space)

Q3: Which changes, if any, should I make to my system?

Thank you,

Chris