ion windows manager on FreeBSD

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Thu Oct 1 21:36:57 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 01, 2009 at 03:45:46PM +0400, Dmitry Marakasov wrote:
> Now it's LGPLv2.1 with the only restriction that this software may not
> be significantly changed while being distributed as ion3.

I hate to replay this whole issue from the beginning, but apparently there
is no other way.

The author orginally contacted us with a legal threat because we were
not in compliance with the 28-day clause.  A long, acrimonious disucssion
ensued.  In that discussion, the author was asked "if we agree to meet
that condition going forward, would you guarantee that this would remove
any further legal threat?" and he said yes ...

for now.

But that he reserved the right to change his mind later.

*depending* on what we did or did not do in the future -- not just in
adhering to the *existing clauses* like the "significant" clause or
"renamed" clause -- both of which he mentioned would be part of any
lawsuit.

Legally indefensible?  Of course.  Would that prevent a lawsuit being
filed?  No.  Anyone can sue anyone for anything.

What you see as "keeping a useful piece of software out of the port
collection", I see as "protect the interests of a project that I have
put a great deal of interest in time to."

Again, I *emphasize* that this author has changed his mind in the past,
mid-debate, on the interpretation of his ... unusual ... license.  I
also believe that it's quite likely going forward.

mcl