8.0 & MYSQL50 denying access to user root no password

Tim Judd tajudd at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 19:19:38 UTC 2009

On 11/29/09, Fbsd1 <fbsd1 at a1poweruser.com> wrote:
> For many releases of Freebsd going back to 4.3 I have all ways used the
> default mysql user root localhost with no password which has been the
> default.
> With 8.0/mysql-server-5.0.86 I am denied access now.
> The mysql manual still says the normal install defaults to allowing
> access to user root with no password are in effect.
>
> After a fresh clean install of mysql
> Tried  mysqladmin -u root drop test   to delete the test db.
> Received this msg
> connect to srver at localhost failed
> access denied for user 'root at localost (using password: no)
> This in not suppose to happen.

Two issues, mysqladmin tries to connect to the mysql server -- i see
in your message above it can't connect
if it can't connect, how can it authorize?

second, the undocumented mysql_install_db must be run to install the
default database.  But if you run this as root, you should change
ownership of everything in /var/db/mysql to allow the mysql server
access to the files.

Those are two problems I'm seeing with your post.  Correct me if I'm
wrong, but try these first.