Mail not working [SOLVED]

Dimitri Yioulos dyioulos at firstbhph.com
Sat Nov 28 21:06:27 UTC 2009

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 12:56:57 -0500, Dimitri Yioulos wrote
> Greetz to all.
>
> I've never been able to get a mail server working on my FreeBSD installation.
> While I recently upgraded to 8.0-RELEASE, it hasn't worked since my initisl
> 7.0-RELEASE installation.  This is not a major server, so I haven't fussed
> with it up to now.  But, I would like to finally fix it.
>
> I've tried various combinations of postfix and sendmail, but all have failed.
> It doesn't matter to me whether I run postfix or sendmail, though I have far more
> experience with sendmail.  I believe that both postfix and sendmail are currently
> installed, with postfix being the mail server.  I want to forward mail to my sendmail
> MTA for distribution, which I'm doing successfully with many other *nix boxes.
>
> Here's what I currently see in /var/log/messages whenever I try to send a
> message from the FBSD box:
>
> Nov 28 04:15:30 marshfield kernel: pid 11721 (mailwrapper), uid 0: exited on
> signal 11
> (core dumped)
>
> and in /var/log/maillog:
>
> Nov 26 21:35:29 marshfield postfix/master[946]: daemon started -- version 2.7-
> 20091008, configuration /usr/local/etc/postfix
>
> Here's at least a snippet from main.cf:
>
> mydomain = ourdomain.com
> readme_directory = no
> myorigin = $mydomain
> mydestination = $mydomain
> #relayhost = [mail1.$mydomain]
> relayhost = 192.168.1.2
> data_directory = /var/db/postfix
> transport_maps = /usr/local/etc/postfix/transportsmtpd_recipient_restrictions
> = permit_my networks
>
> and mailer.conf:
>
> sendmail        /usr/sbin/sendmail
> send-mail       /usr/sbin/sendmail
> mailq   /var/spool/mqueue
> newaliases      /usr/bin/newaliases
>
> I've googled, etc., but haven't come up with a solution.  Your help would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

I can't believe it.  After all this time hacking away, I solved my issue rather easily.
 I made sure sendmail was turned off, then deinstalled/reinstalled postfix-current from
ports.  I had to tweak some directives in mailer.conf and main.cf based on a couple of
posts I googled.  I made sure sendmail wouldn't start, then started postfix with
"/etc/rc.d/sendmail onestart" (Q: why is postfix invoked by starting sendmail?).  Was
able to send mail locally and externally through MTA.

Sorry for the noise.

Dimitri

believed to be clean.