need insights with openssl....

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Tue Nov 24 04:53:30 UTC 2009

	guys,

	here is the web page for my network guy's cut and paste page.

http://dfwlpiki.dfwlp.org/index.php/Deploying_a_FreeBSD_6.2_Server#Configuring_Mail_Services

	We need to generate SSL keys for the Apache server.

	BElow this is a wiki style box is the following trio of
	openssl commands.  The second command gives me some error
	messages and dies.  Can anybody figure out what I need to do
	to get openssl running?

	# openssl genrsa -des3 -out server.key 1024
	# openssl req -new -key server.key -out server.csr
	# openssl x509 -req -days 365 -in /root/server.csr -signkey /root/server.key -out /root/server.crt

	Then the instructions:

	Copy the certs to the destination directory.

	Followed by more commands to cut and paste:

	# cp ~/server.key /usr/local/etc/apache22/
	# cp ~/server.crt /usr/local/etc/apache22/

	One other thing that is confusing is what openssl has to do
	with apache.  Pointers to any tutorials or other documentation
	would be a huge help.

	thanks in advance,

	gary

    The 7.31a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php